Powered by Blogger.

♥ MEG'S PICKS ♥

RosÉ Gummy Bears



I have been wanting to make Rosé gummy bears for at least a year now.  I don't really know why that is, but I have ;)  Maybe the fact that they're just so darn cute has something to do with it, who knows?  Anyway, I finally got around to making the little guys last weekend and to be honest, I am having mixed feelings about them.  Are they adorable to look at?  Absolutely!  Are they the best thing I've ever eaten?  Not so much.  As my mom put it, "I'd rather just drink a glass of wine."  Amen, sister!

Not to say they taste bad.  They don't at all!  I'm just not sure they are worth the effort.  That said, they really aren't too difficult to make.  I followed a recipe I found here from The Kitchn.  I had never worked with gelatin before, so I was a little surprised with that process, but in the end, it really wasn't hard and the bears are totally cute.



print recipe

Rosé Gummy Bears
Adapted from The Kitchn
Ingredients
  • 2 cups, divided rosé wine
  • 1/4 cup or about 5 packets unflavored powdered gelatin
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 drop optional pink or red food coloring
Instructions
Get the molds ready: Place the gummy bear molds on a rimmed baking sheet and make sure there is room in your refrigerator for the baking sheet to sit flat.Concentrate 1 cup of the rosé: Bring 1 cup of the rosé to a gentle simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool while blooming the gelatin.Bloom the gelatin: Combine the gelatin and remaining cup of rosé in a 2-cup measuring cup. Stir to make sure all of the gelatin is wet, then leave the gelatin to "bloom" for 5 minutes. The gelatin should swell, thickening the mixture.Combine the sugar, gelatin mixture, and rosé concentrate: Add the sugar to the saucepan with the concentrated rosé. Add the bloomed gelatin and rosé mixture to the pan as well and stir to combine.Cook the gelatin mixture: Return the pan to medium-low heat and bring the mixture to a bare simmer, stirring constantly. Do not boil the gelatin mixture, but the gelatin and sugar should dissolve completely and the mixture should have the consistency of a thick syrup, like maple syrup.Add the food coloring: Remove the pan from the heat and add the food coloring if using. Pour the mixture into squeeze bottles or a measuring cup with a spout.Fill the molds: Squeeze a small amount of the gelatin mixture into each cavity of the molds, or pour using the spouted measure cup. Use an offset spatula to level the molds and wipe away excess gummy mixture.Set the gummies: Refrigerate the gummies until set, about 90 minutes.Store the gummies: Push the candies out from the bottom of the mold to remove. Store them in the refrigerator.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: about 200 bears


A few things to mention:
1.  The recipe said to let the bears set for 90 min.  After 90 min, I tried to pop a few out of the molds to take over to my parent's house for a Fourth of July celebration.  They were a little tough to get out of the molds and by the time I arrived at my parents, they had almost completely melted.  We put them in the fridge and were able to still eat them, but I felt a little defeated.
When I got home, I was able to easily pop out the remaining bears and they were much firmer.  So give them proper time to set!
2.  My molds were for 100 bears and that only used about half of the recipe.  Unsure of what to do with the rest, I just poured it into a bowl and let it set that way.  Not exciting, but I didn't know what else to do with it!  I guess either make half the recipe or buy double the molds :)
I found my molds on Amazon here.


No comments